Thursday, June 4, 2009

Are we overdosing on social media?


Social networking is the big buzz but sometimes it's just a big headache.
I signed up for Facebook perhaps 8 months ago. Linkedin has been a friend for a couple of years. And then after much procrastination, I joined Twitter one month ago. The other day, a respected colleague sent me an e-mail to join her on Plaxo. Of course, I did.

When does anyone have time to get any actual work done? I'm amazed, particularly when I go on twitter, to find some people posting up to 20 tweets a day. They're filling up my screen, and it's annoying. There should be a limit, don't you think? I'm also realizing, of course, that some people at corporations are actually getting paid to tweet as part of their jobs in PR, marketing, or customer service. Nice for them.

Here's my other gripe: Facebook is for mindless banter about personal life, IMHO. Must this also occur on twitter? I use twitter and LinkedIn for business. Twitter has become a newsfeed of sorts for me -- I can filter on topics of interest to me, such as healthcare, high-tech, and the environment. I wouldn't mind actually getting all of my news this way so that my e-mail inbox could be strictly about taking care of business tasks or messaging friends. So that's one good thing. But unfortunately, social media is all about narcissism and no matter where you go, people just have to talk about themselves in some fashion.

Now that I'm done complaining, I do want to tackle the issue at hand: have we gone overboard on social media? Is social networking simply consuming far too much of our personal and business lives, risking our human relationships and impeding productivity at work? Is there really any measurable and valuable return?

I watched a video briefly yesterday from a man (I'll call him Twitterstar) who has started a service to increase one’s twitter followers. He's now got 40,000 followers. Is that a good thing? Twitterstar certainly thought so, and bragged about his ability to gain nearly $20,000 in income from such followers. Well, that's something for sure. But how much time did he spend to get that $20,000, I wonder? His friend, who was on the video with him, remarked that Twitterstar had spent over 1000 hours on the site—which comes out to about $20 per hour. I wouldn't say that's a fabulous return.

There is a place for social media, but I think the smart business person has to be careful about how they use such sites and limit her actions strictly to business purposes. That's not including Facebook of course -- which is for late night diversion or a five-minute siesta from work in the middle of the day.

For all intents and purposes, social media is still an experiment and it’s still foggy, at least for me personally, how I am going to "monetize" my involvement in these various sites. However, I have pieced together a few basic rules for myself, as follows:

1. I share personal information about myself only on Facebook because I use that site to connect with friends, and friends only.

2. I do not accept friend requests from people whom I don't know well, much less can hardly remember from high school.

3. I do not accept LinkedIn requests from people whom I have never met or talked to on the phone or at least had a decent online conversation with and understand our common interests.

4. On working days, I limit my Facebook time to 10 minutes per day. I don't post everyday unless I have something somewhat useful or thought-provoking to post. (I try to put myself on the other side of that post).

5. I do not post more than 5 or 6 tweets a day, and I never tweet on the weekends.

6. I use any tools and methods I can to make my experiences with the sites more efficient. For instance, on LinkedIn, there are only a couple of groups I belong to that necessitate daily updates to e-mail – but most of my groups are set for weekly digest updates. On Facebook, my settings are such that nothing arrives in my inbox. I go to the site to read everything because I do not want more random stuff filling up my inbox. On twitter, I use an application called TweetDeck to interface with the site. I can do all of my posting and actions from there in a more automated fashion, and I love the way that I can create groups to organize my tweets. That way, I can read the most important stuff first and the other tweets only if I have time.

7. I make a point to use the phone for networking every week, and schedule at least one in-person meeting a month. I also attend a couple networking events every quarter. (See "Face-To-Face Networking Is Still Critical").


Everyone has to set their own rules and limits for social networking. The point is: make sure to do just that. Then you'll have more time for live human interactions, such as hanging out at the beach with your kids...

What are your thoughts on the intersection between social media and business? Are you making any money or deriving quantifiable business benefit from your time spent on these sites? Frazzled mom wants to know!

5 comments:

  1. Hey PT. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on all of this. I certainly have thought much about this, but, mine are relatively disorganized! So if you don't mind I'm going to take some of your parameters in mind. As far as that Plaxo thing...I'm undecided. I initially started it because I used the calender feature as an easy way for my secretary to set my calender. As the social media sites started kicking I just left it a lone. I had predicted that there will be a coming together of all of these sites and that does seem to be happening via cross posting. For now, I'm with you LinkedIn is business FB is for friends (and I'm in need of clearing some out). And I'll wait for twitter for another day though I'm intrigued. Meanwhile, I'm thinking about starting a blog on my work and I'll start with something of interest to you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. great, thanks for writing--looking forward to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Polly! I couldn't agree more, particularly regarding the question, "How much time should we be spending in the social media world?" I sometimes imagine an Earth in which all of our communications - ala WallE - is virtual. Call me old fashioned, but that seems downright depressing and a bit frightening. I must admit to enjoying the narcissistic side of Facebook. Where else besides a therapist's couch do I get to talk to a captive audience about myself?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. "Cheesemonkeyman" is Michele - argh! Dylan started a blog as a class project and for some reason I can't get his profile (including his pseudonym) off MY posts. Bet no one else has THIS particular social media challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny. Thank you for "identifying yourself". I will link to your cheesey blog from my home page, once I actually get 10 minutes to figure out how to set up links.

    ReplyDelete