Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Face-to-face networking is still critical

Last night I was making dinner for the kids when I realized that I had forgotten to RSVP for a business networking event that I try to attend from time to time. I had already had a long day of working and taking care of the kids, it was hot, and I was drinking a glass of wine, which didn't exactly help my motivation.

While eating with my family, I realized I hadn't met face-to-face with people for work-related matters in months. It's easy not to, with Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, e-mail, texting, and other forms of social media and digital communications.
Even phone calls can make us all feel like we are doing our part to stay human. But looking someone straight in the eye—there's just no substitution for that.
So I splashed some water on my face, brushed my hair, threw on something that looked nicer than a playdate and ran out the door.

Am I glad I did. I spent 30 minutes chatting with entrepreneurs and consultants in the green business sector, followed by a speaker, Steven Van Yoder (author of “Get Slightly Famous”) who discussed personal branding, and then a roundtable with introductions of everyone in the room. The networking event is called EcoTuesday, held in Palo Alto, and it's a super forum for people interested in environmental and sustainability issues and careers. (Currently, EcoTuesday has events in several cities. The photo here is from their site...lamo me can't do a caption yet).

I made a few contacts that may be important for my business, but more importantly, I got out of the house and talked to some real live people who weren't arguing about whose stuffed animal belongs to whom, or complaining about why they didn't get dessert. I hugged my friend Jeff Marcous of dharma Merchant Services, who’s moving his business and life from the Peninsula up to San Francisco to start a new chapter. I wished him well, and was glad I got to see him again before he becomes a hip urban resident, leaving me in the dust here in San Mateo.

On the drive home, I felt more connected, energized, and full of possibilities. I learned some cool things: such as the fact that the planet Mercury, which is currently in retrograde, will be back in alignment shortly after my birthday in early June (thank you, Universe). I learned about a company called Advanced Transit Dynamics Inc., and chatted with its sales rep, a wonderful woman named Whitney, who pitches aerodynamic trucking panels to trucking companies by promoting the gas-saving benefits. Blue-collar meets sustainability: what a concept.

I was going to talk about time management today, but I'm still trying to figure out that one. Especially now that I'm on Twitter and feel like I've spent way too much time tweeting this week. I have to get a handle on this social media before I lose my wits: of course, it's all about business, right?

In any event, pardon the pun, but get out of the house and go to an event. As soon as you can. Not only does this enable you to get away from your computer, the laundry, dirty kitchen, the regular evening meltdown of children of any age, but you'll undoubtedly learn something new, and exercise your charming social graces which have been hidden away behind that PC for the past untold months. You'll also run into at least one person to add to your social or business network.

For me, I'm interested in reconnecting with the delightful woman I met last night, Jane Hillhouse, founder of Final Footprint. (Check out her website for information on her concept for "green burials"). But the reason that I want to hang with Jane is to discuss astrology and whatever else might come of that: because she was funny, full of life, and I need people like that.

Do you attend networking events? How often and what value do they bring you?

Until next time, enjoy the rest of the week—and don't worry if you still feel frazzled by Friday happy hour. You won’t be alone….

No comments:

Post a Comment